Walk, Shop, EnjoyMay 21, 2018
Fireworks Canada Day Long WeekendJune 13, 2019
St James Village BIZ was established in West Winnipeg down the Trans-Canada highway, Portage Avenue from Sackville Street to St James Street. The BIZ stands for “Business Improvement Zone” and is a non-profit organization that is governed by the city of Winnipeg BIZ By-Laws and operated by local business owners elected to the BIZ board. Business Improvement Zones concentrate on creating urban impact through area beautification, and design, marketing, enhanced city services such as graffiti removal, and lobby efforts that impact the BIZ area. In each BIZ, this improves the marketability of the area and local businesses and it creates a positive and outstanding economic impact on the entire community. There are 16 zones around the city of Winnipeg that represents over 5,000 businesses. St James Village BIZ is all about promoting a positive, and beautiful environment for every retail, commercial, and professional business in the BIZ while targeting constructive change in the community. In July of 1987, the Province of Manitoba amended the City of Winnipeg Act to allow for the establishment of Business Improvement Zones (BIZ) within the City of Winnipeg. It afforded businesses the opportunity to organize themselves in order to undertake improvements and cooperatively market their businesses in an attempt to halt decline and rejuvenate their area. Since that time the concept has met with tremendous success where as currently Business Improvement Zones have been developed in many major centres across Canada.
The St James BIZ is seeking a design and concept for a new Gateway Monument/Sign at the entry point of our community located at Portage Ave and St James Street. The new Gateway will be located in the center median of Portage Ave. Currently the site is easily identified by an old existing sign structure which is expected to be removed and replaced by the new concept.
Evaluation points to be included in response to RFP:
- The concept for the new design is expected to be inspired by a vintage sign imaged here and incorporate the 3 vertical structure of the vintage sign.
- Compensation expectations, with applicable taxes
- Provide summary of experience and background as it relates to the project
Project elements to be incorporated and/or considered:
- Sign to incorporate a support structure similar in nature to the structure of the sign illustrated.
- Sign to include a welcome message on the side for those entering the St. James Biz
- Sign to include a thank you message for those exiting the zone on the reverse side.
- Sign or structure should include or incorporate other aspects of St James Biz branding utilized throughout the zone where applicable.
- It should be obvious that this is not a “community” sign as shown in the example. This is a sign to indicate the arrival into the St. James Business Improvement Zone (BIZ).
Thank-you in advance for you interest in this exciting new streetscape element! Please submit your proposal electronically to email@example.com on or before June 30th at 3pm. Questions related to this opportunity should also be directed to myself no later than June 30th. Proposals will remain active for a period of 60 days.
All proposals will be evaluated by St James Village BIZ on their individual merit and potential to drive value for St James Village BIZ in the context of creating place, vibrancy, welcoming and community. The BIZ may choose any or no proposal following the close of the opportunity.